An industry-leading British automotive manufacturer responsible for producing top-of-the-range supercars approached Develop Consulting to assist with its inefficient logistics operation within the production facilities.
This was a barrier in increasing production volume and meeting demand. The business’s target was to grow production from 3500 units in 2017 by 30% to 4,600 units by the end of 2018.
• A stable flow of stock within the warehouse improved from 65% to 92.5% in a year
• Number of faults per vehicle reduced from 50 to 15 and missing parts reduced to an average of two per vehicle
• Increase in productivity from 12 parts per hour picked to 18 per hour
• Line side layout changes improved
• Stock accuracy improved from 50 – 80% in a year
• A sustainable culture of teamwork with improved morale and productivity
• A 31% increase in production, exceeding the original target
• Specific areas identified as problems included the inefficient registration of car parts, causing delays in production
• On average up to 50 missing parts or quality inconsistencies per vehicle
To grow production from 3,500 units to 4,600 units in a year
• The process for handling automotive components was smoothed to ensure a better flow throughout the manufacturing building
• Physical layout of the factory and warehouse was reorganised to simplify and make visual the control of parts within the facility
• Assembly process order in manufacturing was replicated in warehouse to allow location of components and reflect assembly process
• Introduction of team-based working